Leaderboard
728x15

Cool About Endangered Animals images

Large Rectangle

Check out these about endangered animals images:


Rhino Encounter - NOW FIXED & SMALLER FILE!
about endangered animals
Image by GollyGforce
The orig file I posted this morning (in a rush on my way to work) was 58mg and took forever to load, for those who could even get it to start loading. I apologize, I wasn't paying attention and have re-saved the file optimized for flickr and it loads fine. PLEASE try it again, I promise it will be worth it!

This was taken Tuesday night during a docent training class that I was sitting in on to get continuing education hours. I know the video quality is low, but it was taken on my cruddy phone using the night mode. It's only 90 seconds and you get a glimpse of a few remarkable creatures from a perspective not many see.

Many of you know about my volunteer work as a docent with our local zoo, but most of the work you hear about is done off the grounds at events, schools and similar situations using the education animals. We are also trained on the exhibit animals, tours, events and such on zoo grounds.

Not many people have the opportunity to interact with a critically endangered species like the Black Rhino's, especially in a controlled environment with minimal risk of serious injury. I stress this because I don't want people to think these are docile or tame animals, they can be very aggressive and unpredictable. This is part of the indoor nonpublic areas that the Rhinos spend their winter safely in. The building was designed specifically to house 2 adults, you only see a small bit in the video, but there are permanent barriers and a variety of hydraulic gates. Mobile gates give keepers flexibility to allow the animals to rotate pens, and reconfigure pen layout so they can access all areas as needed while always having a safety barrier between humans and animals.

I added a couple big cat clips at at the end, the female Snow Leopard, and 2 of the three Amur Tiger cubs born at our zoo in Sept of 2011. All three species shown in my videos have one thing in common, they are all critically endangered species, and are all part of the Species Survival Plan (SSP).


Amur Leopard!
about endangered animals
Image by M. Rex
These are very very endangered - only about 40 left in the wild last I checked.


Amur Leopard!
about endangered animals
Image by M. Rex
These are very very endangered - only about 40 left in the wild last I checked.

Banner