Leaderboard
728x15

Cool Wild Animals images

Large Rectangle

Check out these wild animals images:



Martin_2335-wo
wild animals
Image by Starlisa
On August 17, 2010, I was sleeping out under the stars up in the forest near Bird Creek when a woof from my dog Rio woke me up... this little creature was really checking us out from a tree about 20-30 feet away. I had my camera laying beside me and got a few fuzzy shots, what can I say my eyes were fuzzy too at Dawn! he moved so quickly and it was such dim light still this was the best I could do. This is only the second time in my life I have seen one of these shy little creatures

looking for links
faculty.njcu.edu/fmoran/vol4martin.htm

www.wildernessclassroom.com/www/schoolhouse/boreal_librar...


en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Marten

raysweb.net/wildlife/pages/08.html the information from this link is shown below

Pine Marten
[North American: Martes americana]
[European: Martes martes]

"Pine martens are elusive nocturnal mammals which are found in pine forests and rocky scree areas. Suitable refuge sites include rocky crevices, disused squirrel nests (dreys) and holes in trees. Their fur is dark brown to black in colour with conspicuous creamy-orange throat patches. They have a pointed muzzle, prominent ears and a bushy tail. From head to tail adults are 64-81cm (25-32 inches) long . They weigh 1.3-1.7kg (2.8-3.7lb).

Feeding Pine martens are excellent climbers, and climb with agility in a squirrel-like manner from tree to tree as they search for food sources (such as birds, squirrels, rodents, rabbits, eggs, beetles, berries and even honey). They may also track down food on the ground where they are equally at home as in the trees.

Pine marten signs: Tracks and droppings indicate the presence of pine martens. Their foot prints are round and cat-like with five toes; claw prints are normally absent as they are only visible in soft ground. Droppings containing hair and feathers are deposited in regular latrines near to a boulder or log. "

Banner