Leaderboard
728x15

American Whitetail Deer (Buck)

Large Rectangle

A few nice facts about animals images I found:


American Whitetail Deer (Buck)
facts about animals
Image by w4nd3rl0st (InspiredinDesMoines)
Best on black

Exif:
ISO 6400 (not a misprint)
1/320
f5.6
Hand held

Iowa as a state is known for several things: agriculture, our state fair, beautiful prairies and whitetail deer. Thanks in large part to the endless food supply and a DNR staff that is committed to maintaining healthy populations, Iowa has produced more Boone and Crockett Club record book deer than any other state: 615 in all.

During mid and late summer, Whitetail deer are hanging out in large groups with male and female deer mixed together. The male (bucks) are growing their antlers which will remain covered in a soft velvet for a few more weeks. The females are tending to the young fawns born earlier this spring.

The fawns still have spots, but won't for long. The whole group is enjoying soybean fields and acorns - in fact, about half of a deer's diet will come from acorns.

This is a great example of a "typical" Iowa buck. Notice the symmetry in his antlers. The thickness and height of the antlers indicate a very mature and healthy animal. This deer is likely in excess of 200-220 lbs in weight. If you're a hunter, you would say he's a nice "10 point buck".

More information about Iowa's DNR and Whitetail deer can be found below:

www.iowadnr.gov/
www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/DeerHunting/DeerInformation.aspx
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitetail_deer



ME - I got tagged by Sheila!
facts about animals
Image by billynom
I got tagged by Sheila - www.flickr.com/photos/27345936@N06/

OK, I got tagged and the game is that I have to give 16 facts about me, ok here goes;

1) I am an easy going fella who enjoys a laugh and somehow always ends up doing the wrong thing whilst trying to do the right thing!

2) My favourite film is “The Man Who Would be King” based on a Rudyard Kipling story and starred Sean Connery and Michael Caine and was made in 1975.

3) The book I am reading at the moment is “At my mothers knee and other low joints” by Paul O’Grady.

4) My favourite colour is blue.

5) I love to travel, and do so when I can.

6) My biggest pet hate is poor personal hygiene – there is no need for it.

7) My favourite song of all time is “The Prince” by Madness.

8) My favourite beer is Guinness.

9) I hate greed, waste and materialism.

10) I often wonder about packing a rucksack and taking a year or two to wonder around the coast of Britain (maybe one day I will do it).

11) Most exciting experience would be fast roping out of a Sea King helicopter.

12) Worst life experience, a good friend took his own life, Graham you silly bastard still miss you.

13) The person I miss the most in life is my sister who died soon after birth, so cheated not to be able to know her.

14) Job I wished I had has got to be a pilot.

15) Best job I ever had, Bomb Disposal Officer, where else could you get paid by the Queen to loon around with explosives and ammunition.

16) I hate cruelty to animals.



Banner