Leaderboard
728x15

Cool Names For Animals images

Large Rectangle

Some cool names for animals images:


for Rocky
names for animals
Image by steve loya
I thought I'd do an Illo Friday piece for Drawing Day 2010, which is officially today, and dedicate it to an old friend. A few years ago while walking the W&OD Trail in Leesburg, VA, I saw an injured box turtle. He stood there at the side of the trail looking at me with one open eye, the other severly damaged. As speedy bikers whizzed on by oblivious to this small creature, I wondered what to do. A friend suggested I take it to the local animal hospital, which I ended up doing. They performed surgery on his eye, which he was now blind in. I wondered what had happened to the turtle, whose habitat was being rapidly destroyed and replaced by apartment buildings, shopping centers and storage spaces. I named him Rocky because he was a true fighter and his bloodied eye reminded me of Stallone in the first Rocky film. My wife wanted to keep him but I knew he wouldn't thrive in captivity, so after a week of care I released him into an area not far from where he was found, yet deep enough in the woods where he hopefully was protected. I hope Rocky's doing well today.

*watercolors, acrylics, Pigma Micron pens in A4 watercolor Moleskine, 6/2010


Upside-down
names for animals
Image by BlueRidgeKitties
Lisa trying to squeeze upside down besides her litter box for a little snooze

Update 11/7/09: Little Lisa has been adopted and renamed Sweetpea. Certainly a fitting name for such a sweet cutie!


at last
names for animals
Image by fallsroad
He has arrived. I'm exhausted and it's very late, so I'll write more about this tomorrow.

It's tomorrow. :)

This is my seizure response dog, courtesy of the very good folks at Paws With A Cause, who obtain and train these extraordinary animals for people with disabilities of all types. I don't generally solicit anything for anyone here on Flickr, but if you are feeling generous and want a tax write off, I can assure you, through my still very new experience and those of other people I know, that this is a very useful, worthy cause. Better than half the dogs are rescued animals, and if they are not suitable as working dogs are found homes in other ways.

His name is Rufus. The foster families have the pleasure of ascribing a moniker, and we recipients are stuck with them. :). He's a two year old Golden Retriever with a golden - red coat, silky and clean. He's eager and smart, and I am running to catch up. He is already trained, I now need to be trained to him. It may take as long as six months before I am certified, but the work ahead will be well worth it.

So we begin. :)

Banner